We all have those books we love and can’t seem to put down! We stay up all night because we want to read just one more chapter. I know I have plenty of books that have kept me up late because I desperately needed to find out what happens. I don’t read many contemporary books but they always turn into “unputdownable” reads. There is something about watching two people fall in love with each other that I can’t seem to get enough of when I’m reading. This topic for Top 5 Tuesday is hosted by Shanah @ The Bionic Bookworm. If you are interested in participating head over to her blog and check out her Top 5 Tuesday prompts as well as the list of participants each week!
- Geekerella by Ashley Poston – I stayed up until about three in the morning reading this book one evening because I desperately needed to know that everything was going to be okay! I figured that since it was a romantic comedy they would get together in the end but I wanted to know all the hijinks involved! Geekerella is a young adult romantic comedy following Elle, the ultimate Starfield fan and blogger, and Darien, an actor who is taking on the leading role in the most recent Starfield reboot. Geekarella is a Cinderella retelling and is a love letter to fandom and fandom culture.
- Love and Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch – I read this book so quickly last summer! I was in the mood for a fun and sweet contemporary book and this delivered! Love and Gelato follows Lina who moves to Tuscany to live with her father for the summer. Due to her mother’s recent death she is in possession of her mother’s journal which is filled with everything her mother did when she lived in Italy. To learn more about the relationship between her mother and father as well as deal with her grief Lina flies out to Italy to meet her father for the first time.
- Skyward by Brandon Sanderson – Skyward is one of my all time favorite science fiction novels and I read it in a day because it was too exciting to stop reading. I love reading books about female pilots and this one did not disappoint! There are so many fun action scenes that take place using the ships and I highly recommend picking it up if you are looking for a young adult science fiction novel! In the book we follow Spensa who wants to be a pilot more than anything else but she is the daughter of a man who has been branded a traitor (a label Spensa has never believed) and she must fight harder than anyone else to navigate her way through flight school.
- The Radium Girls by Kate Moore – This was an Our Shared Shelf book pick (Emma Watson’s book club) that I randomly picked up because it sounded fascinating! The story follows the women who worked for the Radium Dial corporation painting watch faces using radioactive glow in the dark paint. It was so fascinating reading about these women because they helped to change the health and safety standards into what we have today. If these women and their families had not fought the companies they worked for we would not have some of the safety warnings and practices that we have in workplaces today.
- Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson – I read this book in three days because it was so good and considering that it’s an adult epic fantasy, that’s pretty quick. Typically with an epic fantasy like this it takes me a few weeks too get through but I flew through this one! Warbreaker follows two sisters as they navigate the political world around them when they are suddenly thrust into new and unexpected roles. I won’t say much more than that because I don’t want to give anything away! If you are interested in reading more about Warbreaker I suggest checking out my non-spoiler review and if you’ve already read Warbreaker and are interested in discussing it further please feel free to check out my discussion post.