For about a year fantasy was really the only genre that I read, recently I’ve branched out and read more genres. I’ve been really interested in nonfiction, contemporary, and historical fiction books. It’s been fun branching out because honestly I’ve gotten in a bit of a rut with fantasy books. That being said, it’s still one of my favorite genres because it’s always nice to escape from the real world for a little while!
This topic is a post for Top 5 Tuesday which is hosted by Shanah @ The Bionic Bookworm. If you are interested in joining in on the topics I highly recommend checking out her blog for info about what next months topics are. I should also mention that all the books listed below are a part of a series. Some of them are books that are later in the series, I tried to list the first book in the series as well in case anyone is interested in reading them.
- The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson – Have I mentioned this book enough on my blog? I feel like I’ve mentioned this series in every single Top 5 Wednesday post I’ve ever written but it’s just that good. It’s intense and long but if the size of the book scares you. I highly recommend the audio book. It’s much more manageable and it makes running errands even more fun!
- The City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty – If you are looking for an Egyptian inspired fantasy novel, this is the one for you! I loved diving into the world of Nahri as she discovers the world of the Djinn. I’ve mentioned this one a lot on my blog as well because the world-building is so fascinating. I loved exploring the world around the main characters and I’ve been meaning to get to the sequel for ages and I think I’m finally ready to do that!
- The Girl in the Tower by Katherine Arden – A fantasy based on Russian folklore set in Russia in the dead of winter. The story of The Bear and The Nightingale (the first book in the series) feels like you are being told a new fairytale while sitting next to a fire on a cold Russian night. I really enjoyed exploring the story and learning more about Vasya, the main character, who has become one of my favorite main characters I’ve read over the last couple of years. I can’t wait to re-read this series once it starts to get a little colder outside. (The first book in this series is The Bear and The Nightingale)
- The Crimson Crown by Cinda Williams Chima – The Seven Realms Series is one of those classic YA fantasy series I just can’t help but love! I love the characters so much! I rooted for the characters time and time again and I can’t wait to see what happens in the next series, The Shattered Realms. (The first book in the series is The Demon King)
- The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis – I typically try not to include childhood favorites in my list but this had to be the exception. I really love the Chronicles of Narnia Series, it’s probably the first fantasy series I ever read because I read it just before Harry Potter. I also love the allegorical nature of the books. (The first book in the series is The Magician’s Nephew)
Honorable Mention: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling – I can’t mention fantasy without mentioning my all time favorite series, Harry Potter. It will always be in my heart as one of the best book series of all time. That being said, the books I mentioned above aren’t quite as well known as the Harry Potter series and they are all meaningful to me as well.